The State of the 2021 National Prep Wrestling Championships and Covid-19
To: National Prep School Wrestling Championships Network
From: Milton B. Yates, Chair
CC: John Gordon, Henry Franklin, Brian Antonelli, Bill Dunham, Tom Estus, Ross Gitomer,
Tom Herring, Nathan Lautar, David Paige, Jim Regan, Pete Welch, Gary “Gimp” Brownell
Date: October 2, 2020
Re: National Prep School Wrestling Championships Event
Please see USA Wrestling’s Updated Return to Mat Guidelines for recommendations as you all make decisions at the regional level regarding when and how to safely resume activity. USA Wrestling wants to ensure our alignment with what state and local governments and public health departments are implementing as it relates to the health and safety of our student-athletes. The National Prep School Wrestling Championships Board (NP Board) has determined, in collaboration with our respective zone representatives, that the 2021 National Preps Tournament date and schedule will be modified due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our PLAN A reflects a new event date of Friday and Saturday March 12-13, 2021. As it stands, Lehigh University (Bethlehem, PA) is still our host site for the Championships. Please keep in mind that the date and venue are subject to further change based on directives released by the Department of Education, Department of Health, and agencies that preside over the decisions relative to scholastic sporting events. We do understand that every athletics department and conference is trying to develop an effective plan to provide the best opportunity for the student-athletes to have sports seasons. We are hoping to assist in the solidifying of these
schedules. Please note that these changes will apply to both the Boys and Girls Divisions.
The NP Board agreed to execute the National Preps event under the following Guidelines and Safety Protocols:
• Boys Division Qualifiers per Zone (no change):
DC – 1
MD – 6
NC – 1
NE – 6
PA/OH – 6
TN – 2
TX/OK – 3
VA – 4
• Boys Division Regions that are permitted to host Qualifiers will do so.
• Regions that are not permitted to host a Qualifier must select the student-athletes that will represent their respective zone
• There will be no Qualifier for the Girls Division (no change)
• No NEW teams will be permitted into the National Prep School Wrestling Championships Network for the 2020-2021 season
• Each participating student-athlete must produce verification of a negative test result for COVID-19 by the Monday before the Championships.
• The official tournament schedule is TBD (team check-in, weigh-in, weight class competition schedule, etc)
• A parent or guardian must complete and sign an Event Waiver for each participant
• No Spectators (subject to change)
• Touchless hand sanitizing stations will be placed throughout the competition and designated team rest areas
• No Locker Room Use
• Participating wrestlers will be temperature checked prior to skin check and before each of two weigh-ins
• Mats will be cleaned before and after each weight class cohort with CDC approved antibacterial and antiviral solution
• Competitor headgear must be cleaned after each match
• Only competing wrestlers will be permitted on the competition floor, on-deck wrestlers will warm up in the designated bullpen areas
• With the exception of during an actual match, face coverings must be worn by competitors at all times
• A limited number of Coaches and Managers will be permitted to attend based on the number a qualifiers a respective team has (many municipalities will have maximum occupancy regulations on indoor sporting events)
• Coaches, Officials, Medical Staff, Tournament Crew, and Volunteers will be required to wear face coverings at all times
• A Social Distance of 6ft must be maintained by all with the exception of the competitors on the mat
• Food Concessions will be Closed
• Further guidelines and updates will be disseminated via email and will be posted at
The National Prep Network Schools may commence competing no sooner than January 1, 2021 and many certify weight classes as early as November 15, 2020. A student-athlete may not compete representing his or her respective institution prior to certifying a weight class.
The NP Board makes the following recommendations for in-season wrestling activity:
Please remember that guidelines from the NWCA and USA Wrestling can be found here: USA Wrestling’s Updated Return to Mat Guidelines. Please follow all state and local guidelines and protocols for return to play.
Cleaning and Hygiene
• All mat and padded surfaces should be washed before and after each use with a CDC approved standard antibacterial and antiviral
• Disinfectant Fogging is recommended after each training session
• Two touchless hand sanitizing stations should be placed in the wrestling room
o SEE attached information from wrestler and woman-owned sanitizer company,
Smith Golden Rule. National Prep Network schools receive a discount on
products with free delivery when “National Preps” is mentioned
• HVAC fan should maintain constant circulation
• Headgear and personal wrestling equipment should be sanitized before and after each
• Dirty or sweaty clothes and equipment must never be left in the wrestling room.
• All athletes present verification of negative COVID test within 4 days prior to first
• Direct student-athletes’ families that have been out of state to review CDC’s state high risk list and honor any prescribed period of self-quarantining
• All wrestlers must answer “no” to the following questions (daily):
1. In the past 14 days have you had any symptoms of fever, cough, congestion, head and body aches?
2. In the past 14 days have you been in close contact(less than 6 feet for 15 or more minutes) with anyone who has tested positive for COVID 19?
3. In the past 14 days have you traveled to a region or state that has a positivity rate above 5 %
• All wrestlers present verification of a negative COVID test every 15 days
• If a student-athlete presents with any symptoms or signs of illness of any kind, isolate them from others and contact their parents to pick them up immediately (non-boarding). If the student -athlete has driven themselves, check with parents to get permission for the student-athlete to drive home alone. If other students have carpooled with the sick student-athlete, arrange for alternate transportation home for them. Please be sure to notify school nurse of any activity related to a symptomatic student-athlete
• Temperature checks should be administered for all wrestlers before each practice
• Wrestlers should be grouped in training pods of 4
• Wrestlers should consider only training with wrestlers in their training pod and should not train at other facilities
• With the exception of during actual partner contact wrestling drills and live training, face coverings should be worn at all other times (warm up, stretching, individual skills)
• Wrestlers should maintain 6 foot distance at all times unless wrestling
• One athlete per 43 sq feet allows for socially distant training
• Coaches should wear a face covering at all times
• Locker rooms should not be utilized
• Wrestlers should not share water bottles, towels, or equipment (with the exception of the
mat surface being trained on
• Wrestlers living in the dorms will stay in the same cohort at all times
• When away from school, wrestlers should practice socially distancing and wear a mask at all times in public or when they cannot maintain a social distance
Please keep in mind that this is our PLAN A. ALL dates, times, and schedules are subject to change. We are monitoring wrestling activity in each of our regions very closely and we will update promptly with changes and adjustments. This process requires some unselfishness on all of our parts and the NP Board is certain we can come together and get this done. We sincerely appreciate everyone’s patience and hope that collectively, we can provide our very best effort to ensure the health and safety of our student athletes, coaches, and their families.
If you have direct questions, please refer those inquiries to your regional representative. Visit to find out who your regional representative is. Thank you all so very much and we look forward to seeing you on the mat very soon.
Milton B. Yates
National Prep School Wrestling Championships Board